1. Determine if you will be contacting the state representative in your town/city or if you want to contact another legislator who represents your position or most closely aligns with your idea or issue. 


2. Call, email or send a letter! You can also use social media. See helpful hints below.

Click HERE or HERE to search the NH Senate members in your area.

Click HERE to search issues facing NH.


Did you know New Hampshire legislators will consider over 800 bills in 2017?



Tips for Public Testimony Click HERE


  • Keep in mind that our elected representatives and government officials are there to serve us, the citizenry. Most of them are happy to receive feedback and requests from their constituents - it helps them do their job. If you try and an individual is unresponsive or not receptive to you, keep that in mind the next time you cast your vote.

  • In NH, most legislators list their email, a mailing address, and an office telephone number or a home phone number on the General Court website.  You can find out who your state Senator is by visiting this Senate map.

  • Contact information for other government officials can be found on their respective websites, or through the New Hampshire Administrative Services database

  • Contact your Senator according to the way you feel most comfortable; if you do not like to talk on a phone, then use email or mail them a letter.

Contacting a Legislator or Government Official by Phone:

  • If a legislator has more than one phone listed, call the office phone first.

  • If you get a voicemail, leave a message and call back in a couple of days if you have not received an answer. The best time to call is either late morning or early afternoon, which is the most likely time the legislator will be in the office.

  • If the legislator lists a home phone number, feel free to call there also.

  • When talking to a legislator or government official it is important to always remain calm and speak from your heart.

  • Before you hang-up, say thank you and tell them your name and town.

Script for Contacting a Legislator or Government Official by Phone:


Here is a possible script that you can use when calling an elected representative about a legislative matter:

Hello Senator, my name is ____ and I’m a resident of ____. I’m calling you because I think the legislature should pass (HB1562 for foster parents) name the bill and why you think it should be either passed and tell them the reasons you feel this way). Thank you for taking the time to listen to my concerns.

Here is a possible script that you can use when calling an elected government official about a personal matter:


Hello Senator [last name of Senator], My name is ____ and I’m a resident of ____. I’m calling you because foster parents need your support (describe your situation to the official and how this bill impacts your role in foster care or your desire to continue fostering). Thank you for taking the time to listen to my concerns.

Contacting by Social Media:

According to National Priorities the newest and easiest method of contacting your representatives is through social media sites like Facebook and Twitter. While phone calls and letters may still carry more weight in the eyes of lawmakers and congressional aides, speaking to your legislators through social media has the advantage of occurring in the public eye. When you comment on your legislator’s Facebook page or send a tweet, other constituents can read your message. This may spark a dialogue. It could also help  increase awareness about the issue you're raising and build support for your cause. Through social media sites you can ask questions, respond to legislators' posts and or Tweets, encourage them to take action, thank them when they do something you support, and much more. Always be respectful and never use offensive language.

Information Retrieved from:

For more information on becoming a stronger voice and helping your state legislator, go to the Child and Family Services or the NH Women's Foundation website to see more ADVOCACY TIPS and TIPS FOR CONTACTING YOUR LEGISLATOR.


Go to Govtrack to browse bills in the U.S. Congress related to foster care and adoption, as determined by the Library of Congress. Here you will find out what stage a bill is in, how to support or veto a bill and who to contact with your opinion.

General Disclaimer: Thank you for visiting the FOSTERING CHANGE: Alliance for NH Foster Parents website. The information on this site is for personal and educational purposes only. Our organization disclaims any liability or responsibility arising from the usage or the content of our website or any suggestions from an Alliance representative. Please be sure to double check any referenced laws, rules or regulations as they may have been revised or eliminated. The Child Protection Act RSA 169-C mandates that any person who has reason to suspect that a child is being  abused, neglected, maltreated or exploited must make a report to the proper authorities.  All citizens in the state of NH are mandated as reporters for 169-C , therefore let it be known that  any information that is shared with an Alliance representative, which must be reported within the context of the law in accordance with 169-C, will be reported. If you know a child at risk, please call 9-1-1 and/or the DCYF Central Intake Hotline immediately at: 1-800-894-5533. 

  • @FosterChangeNH

©2017 by FOSTERING CHANGE: Alliance for NH Foster Parents. Proudly created with